Community garden in Phenix City, Alabama
Will Dockery
2015-05-11 11:10:11 UTC
The first community garden in Phenix City, Alabama.

https://fundly.com/cedar-hill-community-garden?fb_action_ids=10152760833852414&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_ref=fbshare_mobile

"...Cedar Hill Community Garden is located on a private lot near downtown Phenix City, Alabama - a small town of 37,498 in southeastern Alabama. With over 30% of residents living below the poverty line, and diabetes and obesity running well above the state average, there is a serious need for resources and education related to growing food.
Though not immediately obvious, Phenix City is a food desert, with a lack of quality, fresh food for residents. Although there is a nearby discount grocery store, quality produce is not available in the downtown area. In addition, unemployment and homelessness has increased as the region's traditional industry of textile manufacturing has collapsed over the past 20 years, making more families vulnerable to hunger.
A community garden would improve food security by cultivating a variety of crops to supply individuals and families with fresh food. Surplus crops would be donated to worthy local organizations, as well as the homeless and others in need.
At Cedar Hill, we have a vision for a community garden with raised beds for 6 growers; a common garden area; seed bank; composting frames; bee hives; a farm stand; and a post-harvest processing shed, containing a three-compartment sink with running water, a packing area, walk-in cooler and a restroom to meet food safety and sanitation requirements.
Presently, the property is bare, and not connected to city water and sewer systems. The project will be built in phases: Phase I includes clearing the property and preparing for structures to be built, and a site plan. Phase II includes running water and sewage lines, as well as electricity, for the farm stand and processing shed. Phase III includes building of all structures: Processing shed, farm stand, composting frames, raised beds, signage, etc. Phase IV includes the purchase of seeds, tools, and other small supplies for the startup and operation of the garden, as well as written plans for operations and outreach.
Help us realize our dream of creating an oasis of fresh food in Phenix City, Alabama!"
Will Dockery
2015-07-10 07:26:08 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
The first community garden in Phenix City, Alabama.
https://fundly.com/cedar-hill-community-garden?fb_action_ids=10152760833852414&fb_action_types=og.shares&fb_ref=fbshare_mobile
Cedar Hill Farm is in danger of being lost:

Cedar Hill Community Garden
June 18 at 6:05pm ·
Note that, while this letter is not signed by, nor does it mention George Walker, it can only have been written based on false and malicious misinformation sworn by him under oath. That is defacto perjury under the jurisdiction of the city. This is the most recent act of harassment against me by George Walker. I have been in fear for my life from this man since he began threatening me about 5 years ago, and can document his ongoing egregious harassment under color of law, including attempts to extort money from my family, and his attempt by bribe his freinds as t Miles Excavation by offering the my personal property if the will help him bully me off my land.

Cedar Hill Community Garden
June 18 at 5:57pm ·
Cedar Hill Community Garden has been declared a public nuisance by officer George Walker, badge # 857, Phenix City Code Enforcement, and his proxies within the city government of Phenix City, Alabama, and is scheduled for demolition.

And so... it may go.