Bud Bagley... a rare honest politician
Will Dockery
2012-01-28 21:30:53 UTC
For the archives, a rare photo of Eli J. Bud Bagley legendary
Columbus, Georgia politician. Will Dockery 16:24, 28 January 2012
(EST)

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/65726825

Bud-Bagley.jpg‎ (240 × 320 pixels, file size: 8 KB, MIME type: image/
jpeg)
Adam Lynn
Tell me more.
Will Dockery
2012-01-28 22:44:57 UTC
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
For the archives, a rare photo of Eli J. Bud Bagley legendary
Columbus, Georgia politician. Will Dockery 16:24, 28 January 2012
(EST)
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/65726825
Bud-Bagley.jpg‎ (240 × 320 pixels, file size: 8 KB, MIME type: image/
jpeg)
Tell me more.
There's not much already online about Bud Bagley, so I'll pretty much
have to write his biography from scratch myself.

Here's a slight bit by local writer Richard Hyatt:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/columbus-ga/T9GUAERVVCANE94AP#lastPost

http://www.ri chardhyattcolumbu​s.com/view_articles.aspx...

"The late Eli 'Bud' Bagley, a beloved character in local politics, ran
for everything from lieutenant governor to sheriff — and we never were
sure he even lived in Muscogee County. He always used the slogan:'This
Bud’s for You.' One year at the Government Center, he broke out
bottles of grocery store champagne to celebrate. Friends from his
church brought covered dishes and when returns were posted Bagley and
friends were ready to party — even though he was defeated again.
Deputies had to point out that his champagne — though its alcohol
content was probably less than 1 percent — was against the law on
government property. Bagley’s face dropped. He was just trying to be
nice. Someone realized it was a harmless gesture and Bagley was able
to share his drink with his guests in Styrofoam cups..." -Richard
Hyatt

==================[End quoted text]================================

--
'She Sleeps Tight", vocals by Will Dockery & Sandy Madaris:

Adam Lynn
2012-01-28 23:03:48 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
'She Sleeps Tight", vocals by Will Dockery & Sandy http://youtu.be/9uGY157cpiU
Did you know him?
Tell me a story.
Will Dockery
2012-01-29 00:49:37 UTC
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
Post by Adam Lynn
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
Quite a few stories, when time permits... right now I have to go
downtown and do a bit of rock-and-rolling...

He was the classic "Foghorn Leghorn"/Mister Haney type Deep South
political animal though, if that gives you a bit of an idea of the
kind of stories he generated.

--
'She Sleeps Tight", vocals by Will Dockery & Sandy Madaris:
http://youtu.be/9uGY157cpiU