Top Hat Chicken
Will Dockery
2014-03-12 20:05:40 UTC
Here it is, the Holy Grail of Fried Chicken, Top Hat:

Joseph S. H. wrote:
With all of the discussion about the TOP HAT CHICKEN RECIPE Debbie F. asked
me for it figured I would share it with everyone.

THIS IS THE ACTUAL TOP HAT CHICKEN RECIPE, I worked with one of the founders
daughters and talked her out of the recipe.Prep your chicken the night
before 1/2 gal of water 1/4 cup salt submerge and allow to soak over night.
6 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup cayenne pepper ,1/2 cup red pepper 1/8 cup
salt add ice water until the consistency of pancake batter is reached..
Prepare deep fryer with Crisco solid vegetable shortening heat to 375
degrees. drop a small amount of batter into hot shortening and after it
floats taste some like it hot. some like it hotter add equal parts of
cayenne pepper and red pepper to increase the heat. Drain Chicken from salt
bath and pat dry, dip in batter and submerge in hot shortening. Breasts 14
min thighs 10 min legs 8 min wings 6 min., remove from shortening and allow
to drain in a colander or on paper towels.

And so it goes.
p***@gmail.com
2014-09-12 23:41:07 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
[...]
I thought the recipe has Jalapenos in the wet batter??? Or it used to back in the mid 1980's